Monday, May 23, 2011

Every Little BIT Makes a DIfference

Rachelle - International Student
        Outreach Intern
The Bystander Intervention Training is a program offered by SARC to UCSD students. “Every Little BIT Counts” means that it doesn’t take a lot for you, as the bystander, to affect positive outcomes in a situation that may appear uncomfortable or wrong. Through the UCSD Bystander Intervention Model, which incorporates “The Four A’s” and “IDEAS”, students take away different strategies that they could use to intervene in everyday situations. The training also addresses common barriers that prevent people from intervening. Regardless of age, race, gender, or other identifiers, this program is beneficial to all students. In my personal experience with BIT, I enjoyed the training because it provided me with a better understanding of the word “bystander” and how I can be a bystander without jeopardizing my own level of comfort and safety. I would recommend this training to anyone interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment